Monday, January 7, 2013

1/7: Peroni Nastro Azzurro

I found myself with a few other beer drinkers at an Italian establishment tonight, so I asked the bartender for a Peroni.  The Peroni Brewery is in Rome, and is now owned by SAB Miller.   Wikipedia says that it is the most recognizable beer brand in Italy, and that their Nastro Azzurro (Blue Ribbon) brand is their "premium pale lager."  Mine was served to me in the green bottle without a glass, so I really never got to see it's true color.  But I did get to taste it.

PeroniBlueRibbon.jpg

Being a lager, it is light and refreshing when it first hits your taste buds.  It was thirst quenching.  Then comes the aftertaste.  This is where the flavor is located.  I am not sure if it from the hops or the water, but the aftertaste reminds me of many other imports that I have had; I immediately thought of Heiniken and another said it reminded him of Moosehead.  The aftertaste is somewhat "skunky" but not in a totally unpleasant way.  If you've had a few import lagers, I think you know what I am talking about. 

It was ok.  I'd have another.  So that rates it a "3" on my scale.  

Jim from Milwaukee

No comments:

Post a Comment